Friday, June 18, 2010

My First Match Day

Today I'm attending my first match in person. I don't have a seat down front for this game - that would have been so cool. I'm up on the 6th level. But having been to the stadium I know that all the seats have a great view so I'll get to see so much that I'm so excited. Traffic in town on match days is so bad that the last shuttle from campus to the V&A Waterfront clock tower is at 2:15 and the game isn't until 8 so I think that tells the whole story. The Fan Walk is 2 km long and takes us to the stadium. It's going to be interesting to hear the vuvuzuelas in person, I may have to take my earplugs. I sat next to a gentleman from England at the South Africa/Uruguay game. This is his 5th world cup. He's following England's team from site to site so he started his trip up in Jo'burg.

So England vs Algeria. It would be good for the USA if Algeria won but they didn't look sterling in their first game. However, the same can be said of Greece and they won last night so each game is a new chapter.

Mexico played really well last night and the French looked anemic. I wanted the French to win as that would have been good for South Africa but I was cheered to have a CONCACAF team look so excellent. I don't know how much of the USA game I'll get to see today because I have to leave for my game so early. I'll be on pins and needles. GO USA!!!

Lisa - it was great to hear from you. I don't have your email address but thanks for checking in. I'll have game and fan photos up tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment