Saturday, June 12, 2010

Finally, back in action

It's been a busy few days. Relocating to the Univerisity of Cape Town, trying to get volunteer details sorted out and waiting for the IT center to open. As it turns out I've had to withdraw from serving as a volunteer. It breaks my heart but I don't have to physical stamina to do the work. Up until Thursday I was able to get within a reasonable walking distance to the stadium. My job duties had shifted from Accreditation (an office job) to Environmental Services (on your feet up and down six flights of stairs for over eight hours) plus I would have a 3 kilometer walk to the stadium before and after the game. I just can't do it. I had a great deal of difficulty getting the message to the local committee yesterday because I didn't have and email address and no one was anwering the phone. I am sure they were very busy prepping for their first match day so I don't blame them I just feel really bad. I still need to make arrangements to return my accreditation and uniform but I'll wait until Tuesday when they've been through their first couple of matches and the blisters on my feet have healed a bit.



This is Robben Island. I haven't been there yet. That is on the plan for later this week when my feet have recovered.






The building on the left is the dormitory where I'm am staying. They have a restaurant and at least 15 large screen TVs with one projection TV showing all fĂștbol, all the time! It is really great!


It is 11:39 am right now so in a couple of hours I'll be watching South Korea vs. Greece while I eat my lunch just across the quad from my room. At 4 p.m. I'll be watching Argentina vs. Nigera perhaps while I have coffee - or if I can get warm enough I'll have a beer. Then at 8:30 p.m. the game I've been waiting for - USA vs. England, if I chewed my nails they'd be non-existant at this point.

I watched South Africa vs. Mexico last night which came out a draw at 1-1. The South African goal was beautiful, right in the top right corner of the net over the keepers head. I also watched France vs. Uruguay which was a draw at nil-nil.

No comments:

Post a Comment