Sunday, May 16, 2010

Less than 3 Weeks to Departure

I am leaving for Cape Town, South Africa on June 3, 2010. I've been planning this trip for just under four years. I made the decision to attend the 2010 World Cup in South Africa after the 2006 World Cup finished. I made the decision to go because I knew that with planning I could do it and I would enjoy myself so much. When I was younger I traveled internationally quite a bit. However, since I married in 1994 (subsequently divorced in 2004!) my international travel had dried up. The only international travel I indulged in was a couple of driving trips to Vancouver BC - while lovely not exactly the travel I enjoyed when I went to Japan, England, or PerĂș. This trip is the resumption of my international travel. I'll be blogging about some of the milestones in planning this upcoming trip and keeping friends and family up to date on my trip as I pass my time in Cape Town.

I'll be flying out on June 3. My international flight departs from San Francisco, flies over the north pole and after nearly 16 hours in the air will land in Dubai. I have a 14 hour layover in Dubai and have secured a room there. I'll depart Dubai around 9 a.m. on June 5 and abut 9 hours later will land in Cape Town.

I applied for and was accepted as a volunteer for the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (more on that process later). I feel so honored to have been selected to serve and I know I'll get to see some wonderful fĂștbol. I have tickets to the England vs. Algeria game and to Cameroon vs. Holland game.

Take me to the Cape Town Stadium!

Check out the link above to see the beautiful stadium where I'll be doing my volunteer service. Be sure to scroll down about 2/3rds of the way through the Wikipedia page to see the panoramic shot inside the stadium. It is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment